Saturday, April 9, 2011

Updates from Jinja

Hello all,
I've been meaning to update my blog, and with bits and pieces added every day, I am finally able to do so!!

This week has been great!  My first full week of working with the kiddos!  In the mornings, I help with preschool with my roommate, Sarah.  We have begun to teach the 8 kids their numbers and letters.  We have been doing numerous activities, but sometimes it can get hard for the kids to sit there that long so then we just turn some music on, bring out instruments, and let them get all of their energy out!
On Wednesday night, as the mamas (African women at Amani) had said...my stomach is not use to our Ugandan food yes?!  Yes!!  That would be correct!!  For Wednesday night and all of Thursday I was pretty much confined to my bed with the stomach flu!  Not fun!  But luckily, on Friday, I was able to venture out of my room and was able to play with the kiddos for a limited amount of time.  I am feeling much better today.  It's funny though how I was only gone for one full day and I really missed being with all of the kids.  My roommate Sarah said that when I wasn't there for preschool, they asked her:  Auntie Sarah, where is Auntie Erin?  :)
Yesterday, Amani had a goodbye party for Katie, who is leaving for her new home in the US.  All the mamas sang Katie's favorite songs and prayed over her.  And then last night, Luke's mama came to pick him up as well.  Many tears were shed because it is very hard to see the children leave.  But it is also so amazing that they are leaving to go live with a great family that will care for and love them!
Today (Saturday), my roommate and I went across the lake to a village and played with 200-300 kids and also served them all lunch (rice, beans, and chicken).  This program helps support kids of all ages.  It provides for them lunch, food to take home to their families, praise and worship time, a Bible lesson, and playtime on this huge amount of property built just for them.  It was a lot of fun to be a part of.  I took lots of pictures and will try to download them soon!
Well, in a nutshell, that was my week at Amani!  I'm loving every minute of it!!  Well...maybe not the getting sick part!  So now I am going to try to conquer this very slow African internet to get some pictures up for you to see!  :)  Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment