Saturday, May 14, 2011

Amazing Memories Being Made

Sometimes I wonder what most people think of when they hear the words "Africa" or "Uganda"...

For me, I think of beauty.  Beauty in the land and in the people.  I have fallen in love with Uganda and everything in it.  The memories I have already made on this trip are going to last a lifetime, and now I want to share a few with you all.  Memories such as:  
  • The children saying their prayer:  "Hands together.  Eyes closed.  Dear Jesus bless our mamas, bless our aunties, bless our uncles, bless our food, in Jesus name, Amen."
  • Seeing poverty everywhere but also finding joy in the midst of it
  • Hugs and kisses before nap and bedtime that never seem to end
  • Tickle fests
  • Preschoolers singing songs that I use to sing when I was their age
  • Being able to hold a newborn who has already been through so much more than anyone should ever experience
  • Laughing with the mamas
  • See a child crawl or walk for the first time
  • Having a child speaking gibberish to then have them start to call you auntie
  • Roasting marshmallows in a bonfire with the kids and mamas
  • Teaching a mama what a raccoon is when watching Disney's Pocahontas
  • Trying posho and matooke for the umpteenth time
  • Making amazing friendships halfway around the world
  • Living right by the Nile
  • Riding a boda boda side-saddle and trying not to fall off while holding an armful of groceries and the boda man tends to hit every pothole possible
  • Karaoke at the Keep on Saturday nights
  • Shopping in the markets
  • Holding a child when they get sick
  • Experiencing a wedding introduction in the Ugandan sun for 6 hours wearing a traditional gomez
  • Experiencing riots firsthand (and once is enough!)
  • Game nights of Puno and Tripoly
  • Having my best friend meet my kids via Skype
  • Knowing I will someday come back to Uganda when the time is right (and hopefully have my parents experience it with me!)  :)
Just to name a few!  Although I knew I would be greatly impacted by this trip, I never knew to what extent.  I love this beautiful country and its people.  My heart will break when I leave Uganda, as I leave pieces of it here.  But though there will be heartache, I know I would do it over again a thousand times if possible!

"Now that I have seen, I am responsible
Faith without deeds is dead
now that I have held you in my own arms, I cannot let go till you are

I am on a plane across a distant sea
But I carry you in me
and the dust on, the dust on, the dust on my feet"

Albertine lyrics by Brooke Fraser


Thank you all again for your love and support!
Erin


No comments:

Post a Comment