Saturday, May 7, 2011

All Quiet on the Ugandan Front

Hello all!  Thank you so much for your prayers and support in last week's events.  It means a lot.  Things are definitely quieting down here.  One or two riots tried to start up here in Jinja this week, but they were quickly put to a stop.  Everyone was pretty on edge last week with the all of the excitement going on, but now things are getting back to normal and will hopefully stay that way for a while!
All is well at Amani!  We now are close to having a full house of volunteers.  When I first came to work here, there were only 2 of us, and now there is up to 5 with 3 more coming in a couple of weeks.  I am still helping out with the preschool group, and it is really exciting to see all of their progress since I first began working with them.  We always have 2 preschool sessions every weekday morning, which start with prayer, singing songs, and reading stories.  The songs that the kids know are like a blast from my past!  One of their favorites now is an awesome song about a hippopotamus and it is all thanks to my kindergarten teacher!  They've been working hard on their numbers, learning the days of the week, the months of the year, the weather, and there are always many many crafts!  Luckily, the other volunteer helping with preschool is great at crafts because I don't think they would get much help out of me in that area!
The kids here are such a blessing and always put a smile on my face!  I love waking up and walking into their room to have a sudden rush of 5-10 toddlers running up for a hug yelling "Auntie Erin!  Auntie Erin!"  They bring me so much joy!  Ah I love them!!
Here's a hilarious story I want to share with you that happened just the other day.  It started out in the morning with myself making my usual cup of instant Starbucks coffee.  I grabbed my favorite coffee mug because for one it's the biggest one we have and two...it is definitely a Spice Girls mug!  Only in Uganda we would have a Spice Girls mug!  So, after getting my coffee, I head down to see the toddlers.  As soon as I sat down to drink my much-needed cup-o-joe, I was greeted by a couple of the boys in preschool.  They were looking at the mug to see who was on it.  I asked who they saw on it, and they began pointing to the Spice Girls and said that each one was a specific auntie.  To a couple of boys I am either Posh Spice or Sporty Spice!  And I'm pretty sure I prefer the latter!  It had me laughing so hard!  These kids make me laugh so much!  Like when seeing Silas run around with his shirt over his head or Siouxanne laughing her mischievous laugh or even Christopher waving to me with our secret wave that I taught him!
Silas
(:
Me and Alima
Christopher
Jacob, William, and Alima
Definitely singing karaoke at the Keep
My Henry
Siouxanne
Silas and me
It's slowly starting to sink in that I only have less than 3 weeks left of my time here!  Time has flown!  I have made so many amazing friends here in Uganda, and the kids here have already taken a piece of my heart with them.  I am cherishing every moment I have here!  Thank you all again for your love and support!
Erin

oh and Mom...HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!  I love you!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment